Wednesday, May 13

Some Good Advice...

The other night I was watching TV with Dad when we came across the Michael J. Fox Special on ABC.

Since Dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, he's been pretty interested in Michael J. Fox's story...

So we start watching the special where he travels to different places to meet people who are "incurable optimists". What a cool thought- like optimism as his disease, and not Parkinson's. I would encourage everyone to watch this. Even if you don't know someone with Parkinson's - it's a story about being positive, and always trying to find good in the situation, the silver lining if you will. The story that stuck out the most to me was when he traveled to the secluded Himalayan nation of Bhutan, a modern day Shangri La that stresses the importance of joy in everything it does. Here, the government basically legislates happiness. In their language, the word "help" doesn't exist... for example, when they want to say "Hey can you help me?" they would say "Hey can you be a friend?" Do I have that attitude when someone asks me for help? Sometimes. Definitely not always. Sometimes, helping people is more of a chore. I have tried to work on this since the TV special aired... if we all tried to be a friend, I think we'd all better from it.

Which leads me to the next TV thing that kind of inspired me...


The Dog Whisperer. Cesar Millan. If you don't know who he is- have you been living under a rock? Dad also thinks he is the dog whisperer, walking around "tshhh"ing the dogs all the time. They just look at him like -
"Seriously? I'm not going to stop doing whatever it is I'm doing b/c you tshhed me."

Anyway, Dad was telling me about how we should all live with the attitude of a dog... they don't remember yesterday. All they care about is the present. The don't remember peeing on the carpet yesterday when you got mad at them. They don't understand that there is a tomorrow. All they care about is enjoying the present. Do I want to sleep right now? Ok. Do I want to play right now? Ok. I know it sounds like a simple existance, but ya know what, if I believed in an after life, I'd sure like to come back as one of my dogs... they have it so "ruff" (haha, get it?)

I found this sweet list on-line of living like a dog... I think it gets the point across pretty well...
  • When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
  • Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
  • Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
  • When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.
  • Let others know when they've invaded your territory.
  • Take naps and stretch before rising.
  • Run, romp, and play daily.
  • Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
  • Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
  • On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
  • On hot days, drink lots of water and lay under a shady tree.
  • When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
  • No matter how often you're scolded, don't buy into the guilt thing and pout...run right back and make friends.
  • Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
  • Eat with gusto and enthusiasm.
  • Stop when you have had enough.
  • Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not.
  • If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
  • When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.
I think my dogs have got these down pretty well...

No comments: